Tuesday 21 May 2013

Prep course - day 2

Well a bright and early start in our household this morning -

Tea is prepared for this evening, the homework is complete and our gorgeous staff/lab is on a walk with her daddy on the fields behind our house.  And it is still only 7:45am!!! 

I will be back this evening to update on how today goes...

_________________________________________________________________________________


Today has been another exhausting day.  I am so glad I made a nice cottage pie for tea this morning.  We have spoke of attachment and the job of a foster carer, the handover at intro's and placement and the importance of transferring attachment and following existing routines to help the child/children settle and feel safe.

I didn't speak much in my post yesterday about the people in prep group.  We appear to be quite divided sadly, this could be down to the large size of the group but we seem to have hit it off with a gay couple who were actually on our information evening back in August last year.  They are fab and I can see we will remain friends after the course.  There are a couple of other quieter couples on the course who disappear at breaks and lunch and there are some other couples who havent stopped bragging about money.  Hello its not a competition but this has been two days now I have listened to three couples in their bid to prove how well financially they have done for themselves.

There were a couple of other couples we have hit it off with and life long friends may not be the outcome but we will certainly keep in touch and wish them well.

There is a park just behind the training venue and the weather has been gorgeous today.  So like the big kids we are we sat on the swings for 10 mins to get some fresh air.  We got busted by the social workers running the course but they found it highly amusing.

Back to the foster carer.  She was lovely and has cared for 120 plus children in her time as a foster carer.  Some have been reunited with birth families whilst others she has moved on to adoptive placements.  She must have some patience, and a lot of love to go around.  Superwoman sprung to mind and she had many funny stories to share with us.  It just gave us that little hope "PLEASE LET US GET HER AS THE FOSTER CARER WHEN ITS OUR TURN".

A small shock by way of a voicemail arrived on my phone during one of todays sessions from our LA, there was a problem with my CRB... I had a gap on my address history, erm... i cant explain that, I definaitely wasnt homeless i promise.  Error on my part clearly, I wouldnt mind but it was only last year I had myself down as homeless.   Just a little glitch, she is getting it sent straight back off today corrected.

I am kind of glad now at the end of day 2 that it is another week before prep course day 3, it is a lot to take in and I have only scratched the surface on the topics that have hit home with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment